Praat van diep in die sloot.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Lack of Awareness

Someone told me the other day that we behave like we do because of lack of awareness, not because we're individualists. ie not noticing the effects of your behaviour. Initially I thought he was saying we're stupid, but no. You can not be aware because you're insensitive, or because you're not using your faculties. Take littering - I'm perfectly aware of the arguments against littering, and I'm perfectly aware when I do it. Yes, I don't like stepping in other people's litter, but then that's not my problem - I didn't do that bit of litter. I'm also not totally insensitive, because I don't like to see and walk in litter, but I don't mind that much, so that may at least be partly the reason. As far as I know, sensitivity is related to artistic talent - normally sensitive types are quite artistic. Judging by the ugly circumstances we Africans in general live in, I would say we may have a general lack of sensitivity - at least I definitely do. I don't mind a mess, an ugly shack, a sand garden, or countryside denuded of all plant and animal life. A beer, a good woman and good friends are what I need far more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home